gentlemen of leisure
 search  members log in to check your private messages log in
4th Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    superlatenight.com/forum :: The Keyboard Club
Falco
Patrick Stewart

PostThu Mar 20, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote

So I was thinking about doing some dnd over the Easter period (downloading lots of pre-planned campaigns, having drunken chats with the lads) when I happened upon a load of 4th ed stuff (to be released in June).

It seems they have taken loads of things I always disliked about the leveling system and changed them so they sound brilliant.

"Another source of extra damage comes from a rogue's follow up attacks, which can be tacked on to successful attacks. These allow a rogue to turn a normal attack into a truly vicious one, dealing huge amounts of damage and dishing out major damage."

http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e#classes

This is the website I got to with loads of info on. They are changing classes to be within one of four roles, and everyone has the same saves/base attack etc. as they level. They are also giving everyone at will, per encounter and per day abilities. This should help with downtime and saving ur spellz.

"I’ll take magic missile and fireblast for my at-will powers. Oh! Burning hands for an encounter power, and, let’s see, sleep for my daily."

The four "roles" are:
* Defender: fighter & paladin classes
* Leader: cleric & warlord classes
* Controller: wizard class
* Striker: rogue & ranger classes

Rangers no longer have magic and play more like a scout.

Overall multiclassing was always a big issue. If you do 4 levels as a wizard and then 4 as a fighter you're the same as a 4fighter to 4wizard, and also pretty damn useless. Now you stick with your class and can dip into other classes, continuing to advance your main stuff while gaining actually useful stuff from the others.

"Backstab, throw chromatic orb across the room, then teleport across the room. There is no more “crappy fighter” attached to a “crappy wizard”"

Prestige Classes: Gone. There are replaced by Paragon paths (Levels 11-20) and Epic Destinies (21-30). These paths will include new abilities characters of the appropriate classes can select, and some are taken from the old prestige classes (mystic adept, arcane archer, and weapon masters are mentioned, as are some new options like Prince of Knaves).

Wizards don't have much stuff that is mind-controlling, so Psions (released later) will be a bit more unique.

Elves are about the same height as humans, but considerably lighter. There are no more racial stat penalties. Level adjustments are gone. Racial feats can be taken to enhance racial powers and provide flavour.

Magery is different, not more of that bullsh1t running out of spells malarky. A mage that casts all of their spells is said to be at 80% power, and their powers focus around orb, staff, tome and wand powers.

"It seems like four "classic" wizardly implements - the orb, staff, tome, and wand - are to play a more central role in the Wizard character class. Each implement is associated with certain types of magic: orb for terrain control, manipulation and divination; staff for forcefully projected powers as well as flight and telekinesis; tome for teleportation, summoning, shapechanging; and wand for long-range effects and protection. The wizard can cast without the items, but is likened to "a slightly near-sighted man with glasses""

I'm not sure what they mean by the man with glasses. Does he have the glasses on but everyone knows he is slightly weaker, but doesn't say? Does he have them off and takes longer to find the rizlas? Cantlin-casting is the new thing.

Oh, and warriors can self heal by hitting all friggin time as well as maintaining aggro and hamstrining opponents to stop them getting to the healers (lol WoW), healers can heal without casting so they get to do some srs damage and rogues don't have to worry about sneak attack immunity because it's gone and it's easier to do than ever.

I'm looking forward to it.

Samuel L Jackson

PostFri Mar 21, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote

Nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dae
rogue admin

PostFri Mar 21, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote

srsly
rogue admin

PostFri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote

i have occasionally attempted to look into this, but have never been able to summon the energy to wade through the masses of information

thanks for the summary

rogue admin

PostSat Mar 22, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We're all pretty sure that gnomes won't be in the 4th Edition Player's Handbook.

I am no longer interested.

rogue admin

PostSat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote

too hard to click on
Kevin Spacey

PostSat Mar 22, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote

thanks aidan this was really informative, your effort is greatly appreciated dawg and you will always be up there as one of the best friends a poor fool like me could have

-paul `akro` w-g

Patrick Stewart

PostSun Sep 19, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote

pretty sure i wrote that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    superlatenight.com/forum :: The Keyboard Club All times are GMT